Getting my Teletype 32 running i-Telex for the first time

... und hier kann der eigene "Fuhrpark" präsentiert werden.
Antworten

Topic author
kn4ucl
Rank 1
Rank 1
Hauptanschluß:

Getting my Teletype 32 running i-Telex for the first time

Beitrag: # 33278Beitrag kn4ucl »

Dear Fellow i-Telexers,

After much troubleshooting assistance from Russ (WA3FRP) I am finally on-line!

Apologies in advance for my lack of skills in German (and thank goodness for Google Translate :D)

In summary, I have had an unused Teletype Model 32 gathering dust for some while now and was very excited to pursue the i-Telex option. So I ordered the equipment from Henning and I housed it in an 18" Reichelt Eurorack enclosure. I decided to get the full-size aluminium box, as that leaves room for future a i-Telex :hehe:

I incorporated a simple AC switch (and voltmeter) using a small faceplate (also from Reichelt.) Once racked up, I still had some work to do with my M32 as the voltages for my particular Western Union US telex are not quite compatible. Luckily for me, Russ has some excellent documentation on hand which I followed: it involved replacing some resistors with different values which I was able to do using AliExpress parts. Apart from a line feed problem (fixed following instructions from the Greenkeys folks) I was almost ready! Things of course took a little longer than expected (<COUGH> user error :whack: ) but due to Russ' patience all technical aspects were resolved.

Then .... last week I was fortunate to have my first ever live i-Telex chat with Henning! It was very exciting, and although I have never used Telex in my life - it reminded me of when we would "chat" using our school Teletype 33 with the students using the local university DEC PDP-10 (that was a good few years back :o )

Here's a video of my M32 and i-Telex:

Next up: start learning how to use my Telex - very keen to get to grips with all the fun i-Telex services out there!

thanks everyone... best wishes :D

Andy

i-Telex: 792029
Identifier: GKLDK HOU
Machine: Teletype Model 32ASR
Afu Call: KN4UCL
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich beim Autor kn4ucl für den Beitrag (Insgesamt 6):
roliwwyssbyM1ECYDF3OEjan02deBart
Forum Nickname: kn4ucl

M1ECY
Rank 7
Rank 7
Hauptanschluß: 669089

Re: Getting my Teletype 32 running i-Telex for the first time

Beitrag: # 33279Beitrag M1ECY »

Hi Andy,

Fantastic!, and really great that you have a running machine on the network - Welcome to the chaos :)

Sean
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich beim Autor M1ECY für den Beitrag (Insgesamt 2):
kn4uclWA3FRP
669089 Siemen G - T100S Online 24H
299709 Antosh G - Creed 444 - Double Current R + D (0800 - 2100) and a bit tempremental
459724 NC

Topic author
kn4ucl
Rank 1
Rank 1
Hauptanschluß:

Beitrag: # 33282Beitrag kn4ucl »

Thanks Sean - I am still familiarising myself with everything so I appreciate everyone's patience with me!

cheers, Andy
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich beim Autor kn4ucl für den Beitrag:
roliw

PaulHeller
Rank 2
Rank 2
Hauptanschluß:

Beitrag: # 33296Beitrag PaulHeller »

I had a chat over i-Telex with Andy today. It was quite fun. I wonder what that identifier is: GKLDK HOU. Houston?
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich beim Autor PaulHeller für den Beitrag:
kn4ucl
Paul - W2TTY
Austria: 39286 drwal a : Siemens T100S
US: 80003 w2tty : Teletype Model 32
US: 468466 expt d : Lorenz 15C

Topic author
kn4ucl
Rank 1
Rank 1
Hauptanschluß:

Beitrag: # 33316Beitrag kn4ucl »

PaulHeller hat geschrieben: Mo 5. Sep 2022, 23:15 I had a chat over i-Telex with Andy today. It was quite fun. I wonder what that identifier is: GKLDK HOU. Houston?
Yeah that is a very good question Paul! The previous owner told me that he rescued it from a gentleman who ran a carpet warehouse (or similar) and I gather that was in Texas. Or maybe HOU stands for HOUSE. I've tried googling, but GKLDK is still a mystery to me!

Appreciate the chat yesterday, and the excellent tips and tricks. Do let me know when you return to USA and I will chat at a better time for you :D

Unfortunately I think our chat was the straw that broke the camel's back: I've not been able to get it back to life since then :cry: but I am getting great help from the GReenkeys chaps, including Henning and Fred so I am sure it's only a matter of time before I am making more Telex noise :) :thumbup:

73 + cheers!

WA3FRP
Rank 1
Rank 1
Hauptanschluß: 834328 WUTMPAM CHIL

Beitrag: # 34733Beitrag WA3FRP »

The answer-back that is coded on Andy's i-Telex machine does indicate that this machine was originally located in Houston, Texas, USA. In addition, the Telex number series in the Houston, TX Telex exchange would have included the number that Andy has assigned to his machine. It might be possible to locate the actual business that was using this Teletype Model 32ASR machine if anyone has access to a Western Union Telex Directory from this period in time.

Russ WA3FRP
Antworten

Zurück zu „Maschinen-Vorstellungen / Register“